To try and minimize the spread of COVID-19 and prevent it from entering the jail as long as possible,
- We issued masks to staff so that we could protect the inmate population from us.
- We initiated stringent screening tools to catch symptomatic individuals under arrest before they even exited the patrol car.
- Sheriff Mascara communicated with our neighboring agencies to make every effort to use alternate methods to arrest.
- We worked with the courts, state attorney, public defender’s office and private attorneys to mitigate as many sentences as well as release individuals that were low risk to the public.
- We ceased transfer of all inmates to and from other agencies
- All staff members are temperature checked upon reporting for work as are the inmate workers
- Visitation was stopped as the congregation of the public in closed rooms could only enhance the possibility of the spread of the virus.
- Professional Attorney visitation in person was immediately stopped. They were provided the opportunity to visit via video on site or via the internet off-site. This is still suspended.
- Inmate programs were cancelled to eliminate the spread via the incoming people and also avoid the mixing of different housing units.