Patrol Operations Section
The Patrol Operations Section includes the uniformed deputies assigned to zones throughout the county for both proactive and reactive patrols. In addition, support functions also fall under the command of Patrol Operations. They include:
- Aviation/Marine Units: Provides helicopter and fixed wing support, including air surveillance, traffic monitoring, and medivac services. Utilizes marked patrol vessels to monitor waterways and assist vessels in distress. Assists other agencies with narcotics interdiction.
- Bomb Disposal Unit: Stabilizes suspected explosive devises and transports them to a safe place for disposal.
- Crisis Negotiations Team: Utilizes strategies based on established procedures in responding to and negotiating at critical incidents involving barricaded subjects or hostage situations.
- K-9 Unit: Responds to situations requiring police dogs, which includes building and area searches, apprehension of fleeing suspects, and lost and missing person searches.
- Reserve Deputy Unit: Volunteer law enforcement deputies supplement the regular operations of the agency by conducting close patrols on homes and businesses, providing services at special events and augmenting district patrol efforts.
- Special Tactics and Response (STAR) Team: Responsible for assisting municipalities and unincorporated areas in combating daily street crime problems and representing the agency in various community relations and outreach activities. They are also available to assist other units by augmenting staff.
- Special Weapons and Tactics (S.W.A.T.) Team: Responds to any situation that involves snipers, barricaded suspects, hostage taking, or any other activity beyond the capability of standard law enforcement resources.
- Traffic Enforcement Unit: Investigates motor vehicle accidents, conducts selective enforcement projects, supervises school crossing guards, operates Breath Alcohol Testing Mobile Unit, and provides traffic and parking enforcement.
- Underwater Search and Recovery Team: Locates and recovers evidence and remains in canals, intracoastal waterways, lakes, and the ocean.