Emergencies: 911


Back to News List  
 November 6th, 2012  
The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office and Sheriff Mascara remember Deputy Lenny Davis
St. Lucie County Deputy Sheriff Leonard L. (Lenny) Davis, 50, died Monday at his home of natural causes, according to Sheriff Ken J. Mascara.

"Deputy Davis faithfully served the people of St. Lucie County for a total of 22 years as a member of the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office. His most recent assignment was in the Court Security Unit. In his honor, I have directed deputies to shroud their badges, and our flags are flying at half staff."

Deputy Davis was a native of Asheville, N.C., and graduated from Broward Community College. He was certified as a corrections officer and a law enforcement officer. He worked for the Broward Sheriff's Office for two years before joining the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office in June 1989 as a Detention Deputy.

In 1998, he became a member of the Court Security Unit. His assignments there included  working at the Virginia Avenue, Fort Pierce, tag office.

In 2010, he resigned from the Sheriff's Office to care for his ailing father in Asheville. His father recovered, and Deputy Davis returned to the Sheriff's Office a year later. "His devotion to family shows the strength of Deputy Davis' character," Sheriff Mascara said. "We were happy to have him back when he was able to return."

Deputy Davis was universally respected within the Sheriff's Office and the community at large. His departmental honors include Deputy of the Quarter (twice), and numerous members of the criminal justice community took the time to write letters of appreciation thanking Deputy Davis for his professionalism, human relations skills and positive nature.

Deputy Davis was a NASCAR enthusiast whose home was filled with NASCAR posters, model cars and other NASCAR paraphernalia. He was also a fan of the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League and had a panther tattoo on his arm.

His enthusiasm for sports led radio station WPSL to give him a sports show at 6:40 a.m. called "Sports My Way."

He also was an avid photographer, and several of his photos were published in the News Tribune.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time.

crime stoppers