24 percent of St. Lucie County convenience stores checked were selling liquor to underage people, Sheriff Mascara reports
Monday, May 14, 2007 3 p.m. -- Compliance with underage liquor sales bans in state law was no better last week than it was two months ago, according to St. Lucie County Sheriff Ken J. Mascara.
“The non-compliance rate with our May 8 compliance check was 24 percent – almost one in four, and that's way too high,” Sheriff Mascara said. “That is about the same as our 22 percent non-compliance rate when we checked convenience stores March 15.”
In last week's operation by Sheriff's deputies, Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco agents and several under-21 volunteers, the volunteers were able to buy liquor at 10 of 42 convenience stores where they tried to buy alcohol. State law prohibits sales of alcohol to those under 21.
Though compliance in the Bayshore Boulevard commercial area in Port St. Lucie improved from March, overall non-compliance was slightly higher.
“Parents call me frequently asking where their children are able to buy alcohol in violation of state law,” Sheriff Mascara said. “Sadly, the answer is at about one of every four convenience stores.”
The Sheriffs Office has begun issuing letters thanking convenience store managers whose stores comply with the law. The Sheriffs Office, in cooperation with state alcohol agents, makes compliance sweeps several times throughout the year to identify violators, improve compliance and increase public awareness.
Here are the convenience stores where store clerks were issued notices to appear for liquor sales violations:
* 5300 North Sunshine State Parkway, Mobile station
* 2301 South 35th Street, Fort Pierce, Circle K
* 975 Seaway Drive, Fort Pierce, Cumberland Farms
* 307 South Al A, Fort Pierce, Atlantic Corner Food Mart
* 1020 Shorewinds Drive, Fort Pierce, Cumberland Farms
* 1795 St. Lucie West Boulevard, Shell station
* 1018 SW Bayshore Boulevard, Port St. Lucie, J.C. Liquors
* 701 SW Bayshore Boulevard, Port St. Lucie, Circle K
* 702 SW Bayshore Blvd., Port St. Lucie, Shell station
* 1780 SW St. Lucie West Boulevard, Port St. Lucie, Chevron Station