St. Lucie County Sheriff Mascara thanks businesses for improved compliance with laws against selling alcohol to minors
In an undercover operation earlier this week, merchants in St. Lucie County showed improved compliance with laws against selling alcohol to those under 21, according to Sheriff Ken J. Mascara.
"I want to thank store and restaurant proprietors in St. Lucie County for their 85 percent compliance rate," Sheriff Mascara said. "This is a big improvement compared with our last undercover compliance operation last October, when compliance was only 65 percent."
Teams of underage volunteers, under the supervision of Deputies of the St. Lucie County Sheriff's School Resource Section entered convenience stores, restaurants and other stores Tuesday night to try to buy alcohol without showing proof of legal age, Sheriff Mascara said.
Of the 75 attempts, 11 resulted in purchases.
Each offending merchant was charged with a misdemeanor and given a notice to appear in court to face the charge. Each store or restaurant that complied with state law will receive a letter of appreciation from Sheriff Mascara.
The Sheriff's Office began the undercover compliance operations in 2004.
Here are the businesses found in non-compliance by selling alcohol to those under 21:
- Sunoco Service Station, 5006 Sunshine State Parkway, Fort Pierce.
- 7-11 Store, 3110 Oleander Ave., Fort Pierce.
- Valero Gas, 2829 Okeechobee Road, Fort Pierce.
- Hess Service Station, 149 S.W. Bayshore Blvd., Port St. Lucie.
- T.G.I. Friday's, 1775 St. Lucie West Blvd., Port St. Lucie.
- Valero Gas, 1297 S.W. Gatlin Blvd., Port St. Lucie.
- BP Gas, 285 North St. James Drive, Port St. Lucie.
- Outback Steak House, 1950 Courtyard Circle, Port St. Lucie.
- Hess Service Station, 9389 South U.S.1, Port St. Lucie.
- Tropical Supermarket, 751 N.W. Airoso Blvd., Port St. Lucie.
- Circle C Liquors, 7574 South U.S.1, Port St. Lucie. * * *
Click on Image for Full Size
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.